April 17, 2015 –
At the podium is Bruce Steinbrock, Director of Development-Athletics for Washburn University Foundation, speaking about the $10,000 donation from the Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation that will be used for for a golf tournament that will raise funds for scholarships at Washburn. Standing next to Steinbrock is Liana Onnen, PBPN chairperson, and members of the Charitable Contributions Committee Wanda Treinen, LaVera Bell, John Tuckwin and Ruth Vega-Harjo. Another PBPN Tribal Council member, Carrie O’Toole is on the end.
(MAYETTA) The Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation (PBPN) Charitable Contributions Committee held their quarterly Charitable Contribution awards ceremony yesterday at the Prairie Band Casino & Resort. A total of $75,225.00 was distributed to nineteen community organizations.
Large donations of $10,000 were given to the Arthritis Foundation to help them fund a Bone Bash Gala that will raise awareness of the impact of arthritis and the Washburn University Foundation that is sponsoring an annual golf classic tournament for scholarship programs.
Other noteworthy contributions included an $8,000 donation to Our Lady of the Snows Catholic Church in Mayetta, Kan. that will celebrate its 100th year ton May 31 and $5,000 donations to the Kansas Senior Olympics, OLG Fiesta Mexicana, Topeka Blues Society, American Heart Association and the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI).
The primary duty of the PBPN Charitable Contributions Committee is to act as the clearinghouse for all funding requests and to make recommendations to the PBPN Tribal Council. Categories of consideration made are in education, health and community services, the environment, and religion that impact the spiritual wellness and quality of life for all.
Below is a list of the donations:
- Lawrence Memorial Hospital $ 3,000
- Museum of the Kansas National Guard$ 300
- National Alliance of Mental Illness (NAMI)$ 5,000
- Military Officers Association$ 2,000
- Topeka Blues Society$ 5,000
- Wakonda Indian Festival$ 1,500
- Washburn University Foundation $10,000
- Sertoma Great Topeka Duck Race$ 3,000
- Sunflower State Games$ 2,500
- Easter Seals Capper Foundation $ 3,525
- Kansas Senior Olympics$ 5,000
- OLD Fiesta Mexicana$ 5,000
- Friends University$ 1,500
- YWCA$ 2,500
- American Heart Association$ 5,000
- The Arthritis Association$10,000
- American Indian Health Research &
Education Alliance $ 2,000
- Our Lady of Snows Church $ 8,000