November 23, 2011 –
Thanksgiving safety message
from the Potawatomi Tribal Fire Department
Across the country, Thanksgiving is the leading day of the year for home fires caused by cooking equipment. As family and friends come together to celebrate Thanksgiving this year, the Potawatomi Tribal Fire Department would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone in our community to make safety one of your top priorities.
Along with remembering all of the things that we are thankful for, the Thanksgiving Day meal is typically a highlight of everyone’s celebration. It is very important that we practice some basic safety measures as the kitchen becomes the center of activity and a gathering place for our family and friends. Please review the following safety tips as part of your holiday preparation.
• Never leave anything cooking on the stovetop unattended.
• When cooking your turkey, make sure someone is always in the house. Also, remember to check your turkey frequently while it is cooking.
• As the kitchen becomes the gathering area for family and friends, be certain that children are watched carefully and kept at least 3 feet away from the hot stove.
• As food gets hot it becomes very dangerous. Steam or a splash from vegetables, gravy, or other hot liquids will cause serious burns.
• Keep the floor of the kitchen from becoming a tripping hazard by keeping toys, pocketbooks, and bags off of the floor.
• Don’t leave knives within the reach of children.
• Make sure that all electric cords are not left dangling off the counter within easy reach of children.
• Keep matches and lighters stored safely away from children locked in a high cabinet.
• Make sure your smoke alarms and detectors working properly.
Also please remember, most cooking fires in the home involve the stovetop and the leading cause of these fires is due to unattended cooking.
Please have a healthy and fire safe Thanksgiving holiday from the staff at the Potawatomi Tribal Fire Department!